Friday, November 6, 2009

VESTIBULOCOCHLEAR NERVE


This nerve consist of two sets of sensory fibers; Vestibular and Cochlear


The vestibular fiber which are concerned with equilibrium, represent the central processes of nerve cells of the vestibular ganglion. This is located in the outer part of the internal acoustic meatus.

The cochlear fibers which are concerned with hearing represent the central process of nerve cells of the spiral ganglion of the cochlea.


FUNCTIONAL COMPONENTS


Special Somatic Afferent Nuclei

The Cochlear nuclei (dorsal and ventral) that receive impulses of hearing through cochlear nerve.

The Vestibular nuclei (superior, inferior, medial and lateral) that receive fibers from the semicircular canals, the utricle, and the saccule through the vestibular nerves.

ORIGIN
The two parts of the nerve leave the anterior surface of the brain between the lower border of the pons and the medulla oblongata. They cross the posterior cranial fossa and enter the internal acoustic meatus with the facial nerve.

On reaching the bottom of the internal acoustic meatus the nerve divides into vestibular and cochlear portions.

VESTIBULAR GANGLION
The vestibular nerve is expanded to form the vestibular ganglion. The branch of the nerve then pierces the internal acoustic meatus and gain entrance to the membranous labyrinth where they supply the utricle, the saccule and the ampullae of the semicircular ducts

SPIRAL GANGLION
The cochlear nerve divides into branch which enters the foramina at the base of the modiolus. The sensory ganglion of this takes the form of an elongated spiral ganglion that is lodged in a canal winding around the modiolus in the base of the spiral lamina.
The peripheral branch of this nerve passes from the ganglion to the spiral organ of corti.

Auditory Receptors
The auditory receptors are the hair cells of the organ of corti, situated in the cochlear duct of the internal ear. They are innervated by the peripheral processes of bipolar neurons of the spiral ganglion.


CLINICAL CORELATES

Lesions of this nerve cause hearing defects. Hearing power can be tested by means of a watch, one ear at a time. If there is any impairment of hearing one must determine whether it is really due to disease of the nerve (nerve deafness), or merely due to disease of the middle ear (conductive deafness). This is done by Rinne’s test and Weber’s test.

Principle of the Tests
The tests are based on the principle that normally aerial conduction of sound is better than bony conduction. In conductive deafness bony conduction becomes better than aerial conduction. In nerve deafness both types of conduction are lost.

Rinne’s test
In Rinne’s test a vibrating tuning fork is held opposite the ear and then placed on the mastoid process. The patient is asked to compare the loudness of the fork in the two instances.

Weber’s test
In Weber’s test the vibrating tuning fork is placed on the centre of the forehead. The fork is heard better on the side of middle ear disease than on the normal side.

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your article. Great Work! Looking forward to more posts in near future.However, if someone is searching for Hearing Loss Treatment then visiting Hearing Plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dr itua healing herbs the worst moment has passed, however, it is true that there are more improvements than before… due to the growing number of people living with hiv in the state of nevada. How could they stigmatize them all? then everything becomes a little easier and we begin to share everything... we also begin to invite each other and visit each other in community. You know, it's been six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs… however, regardless of the problems I faced, the worst moment was when my mother evicted me from the family home, my father rented me a small room. but my mother and my brothers believed that having hiv was my fault and that I deserved to be punished… I also considered myself unworthy and hopeless… but I have a son and eventually I convinced myself to live for my son reason. my mother didn't know anything [about hiv]. she didn't understand anything. You know why? she did not have [the opportunity] to leave the house and communicate with society. however, my father interacts with the community. I know that his friends are mature and dignified in Africa America. so he has a better understanding than her. my father came to call me one sad day sitting on my sofa about a friend of his from africa who introduced him to dr itua herbal cure in africa in which he advised me that we should buy his herbal medicine to cure my hiv, so we did and dr itua prescribed me that i should take the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure myself, although we were very curious about the whole thing, i finished the herbal medicine as he advised, then he told me to visit the nearest clinic for a check up i did and now i am totally cured of hiv my father was my rock and me and my family are now happy together too dr itua has been helpful in my community since he cured my hiv and tinnitus so why do i quit my story here today is to get someone here to hope in god and never give up no matter what situation you are facing especially during this pandemic season which has really taught us all how we should s help each other and appreciate each other. dr itua cures the following diseases... herpes, liver cancer, throat cancer, leukemia. , alzheimer's disease, chronic diarrhea, cop, parkinson's, als, infectious mononucleosis adrenocortical carcinoma. bowel cancer, uterine cancer, fibroid, bladder cancer, HIV, esophageal cancer, gallbladder cancer, kidney cancer, HPV, lung cancer, melanoma, mesothelioma, multiple myeloma, oral cancer, sinus cancer, hepatitis a, b/c, skin cancer, soft tissue sarcoma, spinal cancer, stomach cancer, vaginal cancer, tinnitus, vulvar cancer, testicular cancer, thyroid cancer. you can contact dritua herbal center at email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com .www.drituaherbalcenter.com.

    ReplyDelete